Pages

Let me off the grid! A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gardening on the South Side of Hell...

We've had temperatures in excess of 105 degrees for the past week and a half.  Needless to say, it's been all about keeping everything watered morning and evening and hiding out in the a/c for the rest of the day.  My husband, David dug a new bed around our other olive tree yesterday and I've been cleaning it out and prepping it a little at a time the past two mornings.  This will be my day lily bed and I have gotten two of them planted so far, as you can see here:



By Thursday, everything should be planted and I'll have mulch on the bed, in a desperate attempt to keep the soil cool and moist.  When we were at the nursery, we discovered a day lily named "Witches' Wink" that David insisted I purchase since our last name is Winkler and I follow the pagan spiritual path.  I also found one called "Crimson Pirate" which resonates with a persona of mine from a life a long time ago and far, far away in the SCA.  So they will be nestled in comfortably with a yellow lily and one called "Raspberry Fairy."  My hope is that after a few years, they will all spread out and fill the bed.

Here is a pic of my crazy tomato plant, complete with a ripe tomato, which I'm sure my daughter will eat the moment she realizes it's out there:



And here is a zucchini, with blossom:


Finally, a picture of my morning glories.  The idea here is that they will cover the fence with beautiful blooms.  Thus far, they don't seem too interested in blooming, but they are climbing the fence.

No comments: