Pages

Let me off the grid! A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Big News

OK, I say this with a mixture of excitement and trepidation:  I have rented a wall at the gallery where I'm teaching classes and am officially putting my stuff out there for public consumption.  The wall that was available is perfectly hideous:
But Morgan and I covered the whole thing in burlap and it looks much better:

We also added pegboard, as you can see.  Today, before my class, I brought in a bunch of things that I've been working on, so now it looks loved, sort of:

Every spare second has been spent in creating stuff for this wall.  I'm telling you what, this is work.  People think artists just sit around and color; I've got news for them.  It's exhausting.  But fun.  First Friday is coming up soon (the monthly event in the Arts District), so that will be an indication of the saleability (is that a word?) of my stuff.  Keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm really into the idea of upcycling -- using things in my art that would otherwise be thrown away.  In fact, here's a picture of a sign I made to hang on my wall:

I used a styrofoam tray, a piece of an old National Geographic map, burlap, and a gel medium transfer to make it.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

I am excited for you.....it's always a bit scary to put yourself out there. I have a feeling you will do great!!

Hey! I just noticed that you are watching Downton Abby too!! I love that show...
will be settling down to watch it in a bit.
Aren't the clothes great?!!

Unknown said...

You are truly gifted! I am so proud of you for your endeavors downtown at the studio! Will you be showing your art on First Friday? If so, I am going to come and see. I think you wall looks great by the way! See you tomorrow.

marilyn said...

This is very exciting! Can't wait to hear how First Friday goes.