Pages

Let me off the grid! A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Presenting: Homemade Deodorant!

I have not been a fan of commercial deodorants/antiperspirants for a while (scary chemicals), but I also don't want to be a big stinker.  So after a bit of research, I decided to create my own deodorant out of ingredients that I can pronounce.

The result is a clean smelling cream that I'll be "test driving" for effectiveness.  I found most of my inspiration from two sources (A Sonoma Garden and Angry Chicken).  Both sites give complete directions, but I'll give you my ingredients list because I tweaked it a little.

Mama Bee's Homemade Deodorant                 
3 T. shea butter
3 T. baking soda
2 T. arrowroot powder
2 T. cocoa butter   
2 vitamin E oil gel capsules
13 drops of lavender essential oil
1/4 tsp. tea tree oil
1 T. vegetable glycerin

Basically, you put the first four ingredients into a glass Pyrex measuring cup and microwave at 30 second intervals until melted.  Stir well to mix.  Then add the last 4 ingredients and stir well (no more microwaving).  Pour into a sterilized (boiled in water to cover for 10 minutes) half pint jar and put in the fridge until it's solid-ish.  Take it out of the fridge and leave it on your bathroom counter (no one wants frozen pits, especially at this time of year!).  Hurray!  No more nasty chemicals.

This post is linked to Homemade Mondays.

1 comment:

Aubrey @ Homegrown and Healthy said...

Thanks for sharing on Homemade Mondays! I have to try this sometime... I know how terrible regular deodorants are for your skin but I just haven't made the switch yet.