Pages

Let me off the grid! A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

A journey toward artful, holistic living in the middle of Sin City...

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Mummy Skin

Boris Karloff as The Mummy
No, it's not my Halloween costume, it's what I woke up with this morning. Happens every year around this time. The weather shifts from hot and dry to cold and dry. My hair stands straight up with every pass of the hairbrush. Everything you touch - light switch, dog, husband - responds with a snap, crackle, pop. And my skin is really unhappy.

For one thing, I haven't been drinking enough water. Very bad in the desert, no matter what time of year. It's so easy to drink enough when it's 150 degrees in the shade. But when it cools off, I forget. So back to drinking LOTS of water with lemon essential oil to hydrate and alkalize my system.

The other thing I did, which made my skin VERY happy, was take a detox bath. If you haven't done this, you really owe it to yourself. To say that my body went into paroxysms of joy (is that too much information?) might be overstating it, but I felt a definite reaction when I got into the tub that told me this was exactly what was needed. Here's what you need to recreate the experience:
                                                                     


The coconut oil, Epsom salts and baking soda you can get anywhere. I usually buy mine at Costco because they are the GIANT size and more economical. The essential oils you can get from me (ask me how!) or from your own stash, if you're already a doTerra  user.

Happy Skin Detox Bath

2 cups Epsom salts
1 cup baking soda
1-3 tablespoons coconut oil
5 drops Lavender essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil

Run your bath water HOT (not so hot that you'll get 3rd degree burns, but hot like you mean it because you'll be in the tub for 20 minutes). Add the Epsom salts and baking soda while the water's running. Mix the coconut oil and essential oils together and add them to the bath. I usually put the oil in my hand (if it's solid), add the oils and mush them together, then swish my hands around in the water. Obviously, if the oil is liquid, put it in a bowl or something. The coconut oil is to moisturize your skin and carry the essential oils onto your body rather than the sides of the tub. (You'll still have to clean the tub afterward.) Have some water close by to sip, set your timer for 20 minutes and climb in. Relax, relax, relax. (Sorry, there are no pictures of me in the tub. That really would be T.M.I.)

For an added moisturizing boost, once you're out of the tub and dried off, add a couple of drops of essential oil to some coconut oil and smooth it all over your skin. No more mummy skin!

You can change the whole mood of your detox bath by changing the essential oils you use. Interested? Just ask me!




1 comment:

Carol said...

Hey Julia: You know, the other day I was realizing that I wasn't drinking enough water, too. All summer long, I had my water bottles with me all the time, drinking lots and lots (well I was riding my bike a lot, too) and now I barely get in two glasses. Thanks for the reminder.

The recipe is great! I'll use it tomorrow. You give great recipe! ;)